Civil unions gained recognition as unions between two people, whether different-sex or same-sex. It may provide some rights similar to those also provided by marriage.
If for any reason you and your partner do not want to get married, you can still enjoy some rights together by getting a civil union. It is best to talk to your lawyer specializing in family law in Colorado Springs, CO regarding civil union if this is an option you are considering.
Civil Union Perks
The benefits of having a civil union include the following:
- You and your partner can jointly own property. It also enables the assumption that whatever properties either of you obtains through the course of your civil union is jointly owned.
- There are certain protections against creditors taking your joint property.
- If one of you is ill, the other can file a leave to take care of him or her.
- You can make medical decisions for each other, including end-of-life, which may be crucial.
- If you and your partner ever break up, you may ask the court to supervise property distribution.
- You can share one nursing home room if you ever move into such a facility.
- You may not testify against one another, and you have a right to keep your conversations private.
- If you are in the military, or work for the state, county, or municipality, and have a pension, your partner in a civil union may have the right to your pension upon your death.
- You may receive your partner’s workers’ compensation benefits if he or she is injured or killed while at work. You may also file for compensation if your partner suffers a wrongful death.
- You may enjoy the right to pass on some or all of your property to your partner in case you die without leaving a will.
- You can adopt a child together.
Civil union is not marriage and does not give you all of the rights and protections that a marriage can. It still does not enjoy recognition in some states or countries. Same-sex marriage is now legal in Colorado. So talk to your lawyer about what option works best for you and your partner.