People today are getting more health conscious. The only problem is they don’t know how to begin their fitness journey. Some simply enroll in fitness centers without any knowledge or goals in mind. This is one of the reasons most people fail to achieve their fitness goals. Keep in mind that being healthy requires commitment and determination. You need to know the basics before selecting the ideal program for your body condition and goals.
Setting your Fitness Goals
Goal setting is the first and one of the most important steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Knowing your objectives enables you to keep track of your progress. Be specific with your goals. Provide a timetable for each, and make sure they are measurable.
Here’s a simple goal setting guideline for losing weight:
- Record your current weight, and take photos for documentation.
- Set a timeline. For instance, the ideal timetable for weight loss programs should be monthly or every quarter.
- Emphasize your target weight loss for the month. Take note however that your body should only lose weight gradually about 1 to 2 pounds a week.
- Start improving your diet. Limit unhealthy snacks. Make it a weekly challenge. For example, you can start with sodas for the first week; followed by sugary food, chips, and so on.
- Set weekly goals for cardio exercises. Check your phasing and speed. You can start with 2 km for 15 minutes then gradually increase the distance or reduce the allotted time.
- Check your weekly progress and take down notes.
There’s a lot of misconception about proper nutrition, especially for people aiming to lose weight or build muscles. The biggest mistake people usually make is they rely more on a crash diet for instant results. There are no shortcuts to achieve your fitness goals. Remember, staying fit and healthy is different from getting anorexic. Losing more than 2 pounds a week is no longer healthy. This can affect your muscle mass and makes you prone to dehydration.
Another misconception is the “no carb diet” while working out. Keep in mind that your body needs calories when performing any exercise. What you need to cut out are the refined carbohydrates such as sugar-sweetened beverages, white bread, white pasta, and many more. As much as possible, go for carbs loaded with nutrients and fiber like whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
Hiring a Professional Trainer
While there are now several fitness apps featuring different workout routine, it is still advisable to hire a seasoned personal trainer in Ballard. These people can help design the best workout program and a dietary plan to help you achieve your fitness goals.
Having your trainer can also keep you motivated and improve your conditioning in certain phases. In most fitness centers, they require their members to undergo a physical examination. This is to ensure the best fitness program for your body type and condition.
These are just some of the basic things you should know to begin your fitness journey. Again, you don’t need to rush anything. Just stay focuses on your fitness program, and be consistent with your routine.